The American Express Business Edge credit card is a card offered to small businesses and sole proprietors in Canada.
The Amex Business Edge card accrues Membership Rewards (MR) points for all purchases made on the card:
- 3 Membership Rewards points for every $1 spent on purchases involving eligible office supplies and electronics, transportation, gasoline, and eats and drinks.
- 1 Membership Rewards point for every $1 spent on other purchases.
The office supplies and electronics category includes any purchases made at retailers that are primarily focused on selling business essentials including office supplies or electronics. Respectively, retailers such as Staples or Best Buy would be eligible for these category bonuses.
The transportation category includes any purchases made in relation to subway, streetcar, taxi, limousine, or ride sharing services (including Uber and Lyft).
The eats and drinks category does not include groceries. Instead, you will earn 3x rewards on purchases at restaurants, coffee shops, and bars.
If you find yourself spending a significant amount of money on office supplies, electronics, transportation rides, gas,, the Business Edge card can help you earn a significant amount of Membership Rewards points in a year.
The best use for Membership Rewards are to transfer them to a variety of airline and hotel partners for your next redemption:
- Transferable at 1:1 ratio: Aeroplan Points, British Airways Avios, Hilton Honors
- Transferable at 1:0.75 ratio: Alitalia MilleMiglia, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, Delta Skymiles, Eithad Guest, Flying Blue
- Transferable at 1:1.2 ratio: Marriott Bonvoy
You can also redeem Membership Rewards for statement credit however this is not often a great way to get the most value out of your points.
The Business Edge credit card offers three types of insurance coverage: car rental theft & damage insurance, purchase protection plan, and buyer’s assurance protection plan.
Refer to the American Express Business Edge certificate of insurance for additional details, including terms and conditions for eligibility.