The American Express Business Edge card earns Membership Rewards points and gives cardholders the opportunity to earn 3x Membership Rewards on office supplies, electronics, transportation, gasoline, and eats and drinks.
The Amex Business Edge card accrues Membership Rewards (MR) points for all purchases made on the card:
- 3 Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent on purchases involving eligible office supplies and electronics, transportation, gasoline, and eats and drinks (sans groceries).
- 1 Membership Rewards point for every dollar spent on all other eligible purchases.
The office supplies and electronics category includes any purchases made at retailers that are primarily focused on selling business essentials including office supplies or electronics. Respectively, retailers such as Staples or Best Buy would be eligible for these category bonuses.
The transportation category includes any purchases made in relation to subway, streetcar, taxi, limousine, or ride-sharing services (including Uber and Lyft).
The eats and drinks category does not include groceries. Instead, you will earn 3 American Express Membership Rewards on purchases at restaurants, coffee shops, and bars.
If you find yourself spending a significant amount of money on business expenses including office supplies, electronics, transportation, and gas, the Business Edge card can help you earn a significant amount of Membership Rewards points in a year.
Redeeming Membership Rewards
The best use for Membership Rewards is to transfer them to a variety of airline and hotel partners for your next redemption:
- Transferable at 1:1 ratio: Aeroplan Points, British Airways Avios, Hilton Honors
- Transferable at 1:0.75 ratio: Alitalia MilleMiglia, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, Delta Skymiles, Eithad Guest, Flying Blue
- Transferable at 1:1.2 ratio: Marriott Bonvoy
You can also redeem Membership Rewards for statement credit however this is not often a great way to get the most value out of your points.
The Business Edge credit card offers three types of insurance coverage:
- Car rental theft and damage insurance
- Purchase protection
- Buyer assurance protection
Refer to the American Express Business Edge insurance certificate for additional details, including terms and conditions for eligibility.
Other Membership Rewards Cards You Might Consider
|Credit Card||Welcome Bonus||Net Value|
|American Express Business Platinum||110,000 Membership Rewards||$1,921||Apply|
|American Express Business Gold||75,000 Membership Rewards||$1,451||Apply|