The American Express Gold card earns Membership Rewards points and offers cardholders a variety of benefits including an annual $100 travel credit, $50 NEXUS credit, and four complimentary Plaza Premium airport lounge passes per year.
The American Express Gold card earns Membership Rewards (MR) points for all purchases made on the card:
- 2 Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent on travel, including flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises, and more.
- 2 Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent on gas, at grocery stores, and drugstore purchases in Canada.
- 1 Membership Rewards point for every dollar spent on all other eligible purchases.
Redeeming Membership Rewards
The best use for Membership Rewards is to transfer them to a variety of airline and hotel partners for your next redemption. Learn more about transfer partners with our Ultimate Guide to American Express Canada Transfer Partners.
Partners for American Express Canada include:
- Transferrable at 1:1 ratio: Aeroplan Points, British Airways Avios, Hilton Honors
- Transferrable at 1:0.75 ratio: Alitalia MilleMiglia, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, Delta Skymiles, Eithad Guest, Flying Blue
- Transferrable at 1:1.2 ratio: Marriott Bonvoy
Click to learn everything you need to know about the American Express Membership Rewards program.
American Express Gold cardholders receive a $100 travel credit upon approval, and every anniversary year thereafter. This credit can be applied towards a single travel booking made through American Express Travel. This travel credit can also be turned into cash through the refundable hotel trick if that is of interest.
Cardholders are eligible to receive a $50 statement credit towards membership in the NEXUS program. This credit is available upon approval, and every four years thereafter. This credit will cover the entire cost of the NEXUS application fee, making it a no-brainer to apply for the program.
Cardholders are eligible to receive four complimentary visits to Plaza Premium lounges each calendar year. These complimentary visits can be applied towards airport lounge access for both the cardholder and their guests. The cardholder will need to present their American Express Gold credit card in order to redeem their free lounge visits.
American Express Gold cardholders receive 10% off Hertz rental car bookings and the additional driver fee is waived when booking through the following link. Cardholders will also receive a one-car-class upgrade for rentals of 5+ days where possible.
The American Express Gold credit card offers eleven types of insurance coverage:
- Emergency medical insurance
- Trip cancellation coverage
- Trip interruption coverage
- Travel emergency insurance
- Travel accident coverage
- Rental car theft and damage insurance
- Lost or stolen baggage coverage
- Baggage delay and flight delay insurance
- Hotel burglary insurance
- Purchase protection
- Buyers assurance protection
Refer to the American Express Personal Gold insurance certificate for additional details, including terms and conditions for eligibility.
Other Membership Rewards Cards You Might Consider
|American Express Business Platinum
|120,000 Membership Rewards
|American Express Platinum
|100,000 Membership Rewards
|American Express Business Gold
|70,000 Membership Rewards
|American Express Business Edge
|45,000 Membership Rewards
|American Express Green
|10,000 Membership Rewards