The American Express US Personal Platinum card earns Membership Rewards and offers cardholders over $1,000 in annual benefits.
The American Express US Personal Platinum credit card earns Membership Rewards (MR) points for all purchases made on the card:
- 5 Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent on flights booked directly with airlines or through Amex Travel (up to $500,000 USD of flight purchases per calendar year).
- 5 Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent on prepaid hotels booked via amextravel.com.
- 1 Membership Rewards point for every dollar spent on all other purchases.
Redeeming Membership Rewards
The best use for Membership Rewards is to transfer them to a variety of airline and hotel partners for your next redemption:
- Transferrable at 1:1 ratio: Aeroplan, Alitalia, Aer Lingus, ANA, Avianca LifeMiles, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, Delta Air Lines, Emirates, Etihad Airways, KLM Flying Blue, Hawaiian Airlines, Iberia, Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, Choice Privileges, and Marriott Bonvoy
- Transferrable at 1:0.8 ratio: JetBlue
- Transferrable at 1:1.6 ratio: AeroMexico
- Transferrable at 1:2 ratio: Hilton Honors
Click to learn everything you need to know about the American Express Membership Rewards program.
Cardholders can receive a $200 statement credit toward a prepaid Fine Hotels and Resorts booking (minimum of a one-night stay) or a prepaid Hotel Collection booking (minimum of a two-night stay). Cardholders will need to book through the Amex Travel booking portal to take advantage of this statement credit.
US Personal Plat cardholders are eligible to receive a $200 statement credit towards airline incidental fees (including seat selection, baggage fees, and more). Cardholders will need to pick an eligible US-based airline from a defined list within their Amex benefits profile and the statement credit will only be only eligible for incidentals on that airline.
Cardholders can receive a $240 digital entertainment statement credit (issued as $20 per month) towards an Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, or New York Times membership.
US Platinum cardholders receive complimentary access to the Amex Global Lounge Collection for themselves (and a guest depending on the lounge entry requirements – details can be found in looking at the specific lounge on the Amex site). Cardholders will also receive access to Centurion airport lounges for themselves and a guest.
Cardholders are eligible $155 statement credit towards a Walmart+ membership (distributed as $12.95/month) when billed to the Personal Platinum credit card.
Cardholders will receive $200 in Uber cash per year, distributed as $15 per month with an extra $20 in December (totaling a $35 statement credit). This credit cannot be redeemed in Canada and must be used for Uber or Uber Eats purchases in the United States.
Platinum cardholders are eligible to receive an annual $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit, issued as a $50 credit semi-annually.
Finally, cardholders will receive an annual $179 statement credit towards CLEAR membership.
The American Express US Personal Platinum credit card offers six types of insurance coverage:
- Trip delay insurance
- Trip cancellation coverage
- Rental car loss and damage insurance
- Return protection
- Purchase protection
- Extended warranty insurance
Other US Membership Rewards Cards You Might Consider
|Credit Card||Welcome Bonus||Net Value|
|American Express US Business Platinum||120,000 Membership Rewards||$2,045||Apply|
|American Express US Business Gold||70,000 Membership Rewards||$1,245||Apply|
|American Express US Personal Gold||60,000 Membership Rewards||$1,070||Apply|
|American Express US Green||40,000 Membership Rewards||$730||Apply|
|American Express Blue Business Plus||15,000 Membership Rewards||$330||Apply|