The American Express US Personal Platinum credit card earns Membership Rewards and is available to individuals in the United States. This is a premium credit card that comes with over $1,000 in benefits.
The American Express US Personal Platinum credit card earns Membership Rewards (MR) points for all purchases made on the card:
- 5 Membership Rewards points for every $1 spent on flights booked directly with airlines or through Amex Travel (up to $500,000 USD of flight purchases per calendar year).
- 5 Membership Rewards points for every $1 spent on prepaid hotels booked via amextravel.com.
- 1 Membership Rewards point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
The best use for Membership Rewards is to transfer them to a variety of airline and hotel partners for your next redemption:
- Transferrable at 1:1 ratio: Aeroplan, Alitalia, Aer Lingus, ANA, Avianca LifeMiles, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles, Delta Air Lines, Emirates, Etihad Airways, KLM Flying Blue, Hawaiian Airlines, Iberia, Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, Choice Privileges, and Marriott Bonvoy
- Transferrable at 1:0.8 ratio: JetBlue
- Transferrable at 1:1.6 ratio: AeroMexico
- Transferrable at 1:2 ratio: Hilton Honors
You can also redeem Membership Rewards for statement credit however this is not often a great way to get the most value out of your points.
Cardholders can receive a $200 statement credit toward a prepaid Fine Hotels and Resorts booking (minimum of a one-night stay) or a prepaid Hotel Collection booking (minimum of a two-night stay). Cardholders will need to book through the Amex Travel booking portal to take advantage of this statement credit.
US Personal Plat cardholders are eligible to receive a $200 statement credit towards airline incidental fees (including seat selection, baggage fees, and more). Cardholders will need to pick an eligible US-based airline from a defined list within their Amex benefits profile and the statement credit will only be only eligible for incidentals on that airline.
Cardholders can receive a $240 digital entertainment statement credit (issued as $20 per month) towards an Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, or New York Times membership.
US Platinum cardholders receive access to the Amex Global Lounge Collection for themselves (and a guest depending on the lounge entry requirements – details can be found in looking at the lounge on the Amex site). Cardholders will also receive access to Centurion airport lounges for themselves and a guest.
Cardholders are eligible $155 statement credit towards a Walmart+ membership (distributed as $12.95/month) when billed to the Personal Platinum credit card.
Cardholders will receive $200 in Uber cash per year, distributed as $15 per month with an extra $20 in December (totalling a $35 statement credit). This credit cannot be redeemed in Canada and must be used for Uber or Uber Eats purchases in the United States.
Platinum cardholders are eligible to receive an annual $100 Saks Fifth Avenue credit, issued as a $50 credit semi-annually.
Finally, cardholders will receive an annual $179 statement credit towards CLEAR membership.
The American Express US Personal Platinum credit card offers six types of insurance coverage: trip delay, trip cancellation, car rental loss/damage insurance, return protection, purchases protection, and extended warranty insurance.